.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Marathon Reflection

1/14/2013

Marathon Reflection

I don't know why I chose "pending" in the title.  I guess that is pending a time that isn't nearly midnight (which there isn't a lot going on this week, so I should have waited to post anything until tomorrow anyway.

Is any of that good English?

Bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. . . . I have no words for the crazy above.  I apologize.

BUT MARATHON.  Whoa.  It's hard to believe that was only a week ago.  Some jumbled thoughts:

-That is the longest I have ever held onto a project.  The usual scope of my plans are no more than 3 months, so to have started at the end of June and (for the most part) stuck with a training plan until January is an important milestone for me.  I guess the next goal would be to stick with it 100%, if that is even possible?  Who knows.

- If one is ever going to do a marathon for "fun" (because why else would you do a marathon??) then the best place would be at Disney.  The runners are very well treated and taken care of, and unless you are a serious competition runner there really isn't a need to pack anything- there was water and gatorade every mile and enough food along the way (bananas and gels and even chocolate near the end) to keep you going, and nothing beat the atmosphere- live entertainment, tons of people cheering you on, friendly volunteers, Disney characters. . . if I were ever to do it again (and yes, it is way too soon for me to say "Definitely" or "No way") I would probably bring a camera or at least my phone and stop and get a few pictures.

- For anyone that thinks they can't, I will say that you can.  I would also say it helps to not just do it in your own power, but rely on a greater Power. . . because there is no way I would have made it not only through training but also to the finish line without leaning and focusing (and refocusing. . . and re-refocusing. . . you get the point) on God.  A lot of athletes give glory to God; though I can't judge anyone's heart, I can understand what they mean if their statement is sincere.

- NO INJURIES.  Sure, I was sore right after, and I thought I would not have knees when I woke up Monday morning, but now I'm nearly 100%.  No blisters, no foot pain, no ankle problems, no knee aches. . . honestly it's hard to believe that I could barely walk last Sunday!  More praise to God.

- An interesting thought: the difference between a "runner" and a "jogger" is that a runner has filled out a form to run in a race.  I'm certainly not opposed to that idea (as a 12-minute mile is certainly not competition speed!).

Yeah. . . I don't know what the future holds for running.  I do know what the immediate future holds though.

Rehearsal.

Surprising, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment