.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Running and redemption

4/07/2017

Running and redemption

Just a quick post as I liked the imagery that came from real life today. . .

So I ran 7 miles today successfully.  Yay for that.  But as I began running, I had the thought of "I'm going to redeem myself after the fiasco last week."  After all:

Last week I was running in 80/90 degree weather.  Today it was 50/60.
Last week I ran two days in a row.  Today I had taken a rest day in-between.
Last week I decided somewhat last minute to change my plans.  Today I had prepped myself all week.
Last week I was in a rush to get to a show.  Today I have a little extra time before I have to get going.

But isn't that the picture of our Christian struggle?  We try to do things on our own, in bad timing, ignorant of what we've just gone through, never looking ahead, squeezing things into our busy lives that only serve to distract and ultimately disappoint us.  Instead of trusting in God and His plan, we decide we know better.

And then we fail.

But God offers us a different way of doing things.  A redeeming not only eternally but daily.  In our struggle, in our pursuit, our task is to rely on God's way.  And here's the important part (that I have to constantly remind myself of): Jesus said "Come to me, all who are weary, and I will give you rest."  But He didn't stop there.  "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

There are all kinds of exhortations in the New Testament about our side of sanctification- faith without deeds is dead (James 2:17-18), work our your salvation (Philippians 2:12), the life we live we live by faith (Galatians 2:20).  But we aren't left to our own strength, as God works in us (Philippians 2:13) and He will complete us (1:6).  So keep fighting.  Keep working.  Keep running.



7 miles is not a burden-less task.  But it's way easier to do it when you're doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment