.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Service vs. Serving

2/07/2017

Service vs. Serving

A question was posed that has dug into my mind and heart and I can't let it go:

As ministry leaders, what are we teaching people?

I don't mean the skills necessary to do whatever task- skills like reading music or changing a diaper or creating a document.  I'm talking about spiritual growth.  So maybe the question would be better stated: As ministry leaders, what are we teaching people as we disciple them?  And maybe the question before that is are we taking time to disciple the people serving in our ministries?

This should be the difference between the church and every other gathering of people, whether it relate to work or hobby or whatever.  We ought to be using ministry moments to encourage, correct, and sometimes even rebuke.  But it is very easy to get caught up in the tasks that we forget about the people.  The disciples did it constantly, and we certainly fare no better sometimes.

Although this isn't some official delineation, this is the best way I can think of to describe what happens.  It's the idea of service vs. serving.  Service, as a noun, focuses on the act, the end result of the ministry.  Serving, as both gerund and participle, require thought about the person doing the act.  And so, a comparison of the thought process (these are extremes; certainly there are areas we do better in and ones we can work on):


Service: 
My value is found in the work I do.
I am loved when I serve, and I am encouraged only once my service begins to drop.
The church desires for me to serve, and so they provide opportunities to "work for the Lord."

Serving:
My value is found in Christ, and so I serve Him.
I am loved.  I am encouraged continually, regardless of my current service.
The church desires to see me grow closer to God, and so they provide an opportunity for me to serve.


Do we praise our workers only on the week they do well, or do we continually thank and praise them, even when they mess up? Do we take the time to teach them from difficult experiences, or just get annoyed and begin to write them off both emotionally and from our scheduling? Do we chide the children's worker who loves kids and teaches them about Jesus but forgot to clean up the mess of animal crackers- or do we see their love of Christ poured into lives and thank God sincerely that they're a part of our team? Do we desire zeal for good works more than zeal for God? Are we cultivating an environment where people can do a lot, or can we craft an experience where they will grow and stretch in their faith?



Not easy questions, but if we want to see people grow in Christ, we must examine the way we are leading.  And that also requires us to check ourselves, to recognize as leaders that we don't have it all together and need God's grace just as much as those who are on our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment