.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 34: Thinking Like a Servant

2/05/2010

Day 34: Thinking Like a Servant

Another long day, although good (until the end). I'll get there momentarily.

Teaching went well, minus the whole pep band rumor thing and me freaking out about my accompaniment parts. I can be pretty unreasonable with my demands for myself sometimes, as surprising as that might be. After school band, although small, was going well, and then all of the sudden we were told to dismiss students because there was a tornado warning (which wasn't completely true. . . there was a warning probably 35 miles south of us, and it wasn't moving nearly fast enough for us to have to evacuate because southern Volusia County didn't get the warning until after 4 PM, but whatever, I don't call the shots). So I drove out to Deltona (towards the storm, actually) and got there a little early, which wasn't necessary since the whole thing was falling behind partially due to weather and partially due to other circumstances. Overall S&E went well; I could get into specifics but if you're really that interested, just ask me. I don't quite understand everything in the FBA system yet. . . and if I see my way into any position of authority during my tenure in Florida (who knows how long that will be) I will see if I can't make some changes happen to the logistics and such. Musically, there were a couple students that surprised me with their expression and quality of sound, and I'm excited to play at state for them. I had a friend from church page turning for me, and that was extremely helpful. We went out to dinner afterwards (as both of us were starving. . .my last event was "8:40" and we didn't leave until probably 9:30).

I had recieved a text from one of my former roommates, but since my phone was off I didn't get it until after S&E. It was a simple text but important: "Call me." A little terse for him, so I figured something bad was up.

I was right, unfortunately.

He called me back as we were eating at Arby's, and informed me that a friend of mine and her husband were murdered this morning.

Being 1,200 miles away, I'm still in shock. While I didn't know her for very long, I saw her about once a week during my internship. She was a good person, and although I didn't know her husband, I just. . . murder doesn't make sense. Ever. I don't get it. Two musicians killed in SW Michigan in 3 or so months? What is going on with the world?

Anyway, please pray for the family, friends, and musical community affected by this loss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter tells how we can change our mindset to become more like a servant. First is thinking more about others than about ourselves. To echo the point he made in an earlier chapter, it is thinking about ourselves less and NOT thinking less of ourselves. Being a servant does not mean that we lose significance; it just means that we don't focus on our needs first. As much as I like to help other people out, I don't know that I've ever "emptied" myself. Do we become angry or upset when other people treat us like servants? How proud are we? Quite the challenge.

Second, servants think like stewards, not owners. Although the book mentions money as being a huge stumbling block, I think it's important to remember that everything is God's. Our jobs, our relationships, our environment, everything. Are we acting as though we are only living here temporarily, or are we establishing our own "kingdoms" on Earth?

Third, servants think about THEIR work, not other's work. Criticism from outside the Church is one thing; why are we criticizing each other within the Church?? It's been said before: everyone is working towards the same goal. It doesn't matter who is doing what, as long as it is being done and with the right heart (which, if it's being done, it's probably with the right heart). We need to avoid the distractions of those who wish to criticize us, and we must avoid the temptation to criticize others.

Fourth, servants base their identity in Christ. Serving God doesn't prove our worth (we are already saved!) so what does it matter which task we are being involved with? If you are serving to get a pat on the back, an approving statement by another, or an award, who are you really serving? "The closer you get to Jesus, the less you need to promote yourself."

Finally, servants think of ministry as an opportunity, not obligation. It is a JOY to serve, not a task. Whenever we serve, it is likely that we are being used by God to touch another person's life. And we each only get one life to live. Passing up that service opportunity might mean passing up the only chance you may have to impact someone's life for Christ.

Point to Ponder: To be a servant I must think like a servant.
Simple statement, but sometimes difficult to do.

Verse to Remember: Philippians 2:5- "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." New International Version
It's probably one of the verses that inspired the whole WWJD craze back in the 90's.

Question to Consider: Am I usually more concerned about being served or finding ways to serve others?
Truthfully I think I do a good job of looking out for ways to help others. However, I am working on actually going through with being helpful everytime I see opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment