.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Ebb and flow

4/07/2015

Ebb and flow

I was sitting along the Halifax River near the Daytona Playhouse before our brush-up Thursday for our final weekend of performances, pretty well emotionally shot from the week and just missing Cam and wanting to have her back so that I could enjoy our companionship.  She always said that she could feel God in the wind- for me I can hear him in the water.  And so there I was, pretty well depressed out of my mind (yeah I know, Christians aren't supposed to be depressed, right?) just watching the water, and I noticed something.  The water as a whole was traveling in waves towards the shore where I was seated, but there were reflective ripples that were traveling in the opposite direction.  In looking at it, it seems as though those ripples were moving on top of the natural tide, not under it or through it.  And ultimately the water just kept moving towards the shore, and the ripples were eventually borne back to the course of the water underneath.
I thought it made a good analogy of how God works maybe.  It's like our lives are the ripples, we move in different directions and sometimes we are influenced by other ripples (which some of those ripples complement and make the effect stronger, sometimes they counteract and decrease the effect), sometimes we crash into rocks and end up going in a different direction.  But you know what?  The tide goes "through" the rocks.  I took a video, it's very poor quality since I have an ancient phone, but maybe you can see it too:


So the point I'm trying to make is this- God is constantly moving in the undercurrent of our lives.  Regardless of the rocks, the fish, the bugs, the walls, we are to continue to reflect His work in our lives.  And even when it doesn't feel like He's there, he definitely is, flowing underneath everything and continuing to make His purpose, sometimes with us and sometimes in spite of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment