.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Week 1 In Review

7/26/2010

Week 1 In Review

The theme of this past week was: "Place the Highest Value on Relationships."

What do some of the popular songs about love say about our common beliefs about love?
Popular love songs aren't about love at all. They are either about lust, convenience, feelings, or cheap entertainment. Listen to any random radio station and you'll find that we're so wrapped up in our selfish pursuits that we miss out on some great opportunities to truly love and be loved.

Does it bother you when you see the potential of your relationships and you're nowhere near meeting it? What do you do with this feeling?
Of course; I'm sure it bothers most people. Lately I've been trying to seek out the answer from God, whether in His Word or in being aware of how people act and trying to be more sensitive to acting in a way that I would want people to act towards me. I'm finding that I've been getting some answers, but there are still things for me to learn, and still frustrations, and I still feel inadequate. That's why we're supposed to rely on Him, because we really can't do it. Now if I can just get that into my stubborn head. . .

In Jesus' story of the Good Samaritan, which seems the greater risk to you: helping in the immediate crisis, or coming back to follow up? Why?
Coming back to check up seems more dangerous to me. It's one thing to help a stranger out, and entirely something else to check on that same person. People start to question your motives (maybe even the stranger) and who knows what craziness will ensue. Again, most people would at least help someone out in a tight spot, but to continue service is a rarity, and people don't like it when others do things that are out of place with the way they see the world working.

How do you make love the highest priority when there is so much to do in your life?
First, we have to stop thinking that doing a bunch of stuff is going to fill the holes in our lives. Staying busy is not the cure for living a fulfilling life; having quality relationships with people is way more satisfying, and having a relationship with God is really the only way to fill our lives (and in turn, we will find our horizontal relationships flourishing when our vertical one is aligned). Second, we've got to realize how many opportunities we have to interact with PEOPLE and not ignore them. In fact, love should be the primary way in which we interact with any person, since we're supposed to love everyone we run across. I think just having those two attitudes will help us to make huge strides in learning how to love.

Who is the most loving person you have ever known? How did they show love to others?
I have an answer, but I won't say who it is. How do they show love? Well: they are someone that opens their home to many strange people and gives them lots of great food, who is always open for a conversation about anything, who loves God and trusts in His plan for her and her family, and who just generally looks out for the best for everyone she comes across. She cares for her children without babying them and being completely realistic about what is possible and what is not.

In what relationship(s) do you need to show more of God's love? What would be a practical first step?
I think I can work on having more God love in all my relationships. A good first step? Stop focusing on what others can do for me (but when they are doing something, being thankful for that) and focus on what I can do for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment