.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: children's choir (. . . a week late)

1/26/2011

children's choir (. . . a week late)

TOTALLY DISTRACTED. I've spent an hour on this website and written. . . well, up to the asterisk.

I've been meaning to write this entry for a while, but life (and/or laziness. . . more later) has been getting in the way. So, I bring you back a week in my mind. . . .

We had a really good rehearsal in children's choir today. I was going back and thinking why that was so, and this is what I came up with:

-I had a good attitude about the music coming in (even if I didn't really like it at first).
-*I made the rehearsal a lot about music and developing musicality rather than just trying to make the kids happy with singing things they were interested. Best part? They listened and actually IMPROVED. (And they retained a lot of it through the week!)
-I held the kids to a high rehearsal standard just out of sheer purpose and hard work.

I love teaching kids through music. The equation doesn't work when that's out of balance, or when I throw myself/my preferences in there (I don't like this music, etc.). It's got to be about the kids, but it's got to be about the vehicle as well.

. . . that didn't sound as impressive as it felt, but trust me when I say they are good epiphanies, especially for this group. I want them to get a great experience learning about God and how to praise and worship Him through music. I know what impact it has had in my life. . . I wish I would have been more into singing at an earlier age/stuck with it after I "grew out" of the church musicals from MGBC.



In other news, I'm fighting a laziness/irresponsibility battle now, and not doing a good job of winning. I get a couple pyramids finally balanced, and out of nowhere a couple more start falling over again. Does life ever get to a point where everything is balanced, or at least pretty steady, so it doesn't feel like I'm always 3 steps behind and failing? I know I need to stop acting like I'm hopeless, and I also have decided that just because I'm frustrated doesn't mean I can't also be happy.

So the point of that is that I'm not unhappy, just frustrated.

Ah well. Psalm 90:17- "May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands."

Just gotta keep working.

No comments:

Post a Comment