.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Chapter 4: I Forgive You- UNFINISHED

2/25/2010

Chapter 4: I Forgive You- UNFINISHED

I'm so easily distracted sometimes. . . and my mind is already on weekend mode, which is a bad sign. But I can't wait to have some time to bake and to get to the study questions for these entries.

Let's look at the gift within the nails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Powerful, powerful stuff in this chapter.

The whole idea behind this chapter is that Jesus literally nailed our lists of sins on the cross (since it kind of says that in the Bible). I liked (well. . . kind of. You'll see what I mean) the way it was described on Z Radio (might have been from Focus on the Family)- each time we sin, it is like we are taking the hammer and pounding the nail into Jesus hand (or arm? I don't really know much to make an educated comment other than it makes sense to me that they would nail in-between arm bones in the wrist rather than in the middle of the hand). Imagining that can be a helpful image when temptation comes around. The book is also pretty vivid in this description, enough that I cringed a little as I read it.

Looking past that though, what about its implications? Again, Jesus CHOSE to be nailed to the cross. His hand was in everything that happened that day, including in the act of being nailed. There are many images about the hand of God and what it did (part the Red Sea, cleansed the Temple, healed people, summoned the dead, etc). The nails didn't just physically hold him to those wooden beams; they destroyed that list of sins that He took from us.

But the line from this chapter that impacted me the most: "He knew the price of those sins was death. He knew the source of those sins was you, and since he couldn't bear the thought of eternity without you, he chose the nails" (emphasis mine).

Who is man that You should love him so?

No comments:

Post a Comment