.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 32: Using What God Gave You

2/03/2010

Day 32: Using What God Gave You

I was just thinking about a couple things. Actually, it's more like four.

First of all, I mentioned that song lyrics have been taking on new meaning for me. I heard MercyMe's "Word of God Speak" this morning and it touched me in a way it hasn't before. Here are the lyrics or just listen to it:


Second, I changed my picture for this blog to an action shot of my baptism (it's kind of small so I thought I should clarify what is happening).

I keep realizing that God has been providing me things that I have wanted for so long, but was too busy trying to gain everything on my own to bother asking Him. "You do not have, because you do not ask." James was definitely talking about my life in that passage. There are such amazing opportunities to explore and relationships to develop here for me! How different life would be if I were doing TFA. . . but God knew exactly what I needed, and that was to be where I am currently at. I'm actually thankful that I didn't get accepted to TFA! Originally (far befor Florida was part of my picture) I thought I would re-apply ASAP. . .now I don't know that I'll ever bother applying again. I have exactly what I need right here, and I believe I'll be here for a while.

The fourth thing I was thinking about was what it'll be like after the Second Coming (or when I die, whichever comes first). I don't really know why it popped into my head (I'm sure I could figure out the sequence of events but it won't be that interesting, at least not as some of my six degrees of separation can be), but think about it: we'll all know everything we are supposed to know, and there won't be any more guesses (meaning there won't be any denominations!). To be part of the Church and be serving and worshiping with generations of brothers and sisters. . . will we get to go have lunch with Moses? Or catch a cup of coffee with David and Solomon? Go fishing with Peter and James and John? Will we be able to view the whole universe with our own eyes? Will there be gigantic concerts with 100,000,000 singers and an orchestra to match? It's mind blowing!!

I don't know. It just makes me want to do my best down here so that I'm prepared to do my best up there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I enjoyed the proverb at the beginning of this chapter: What you are is God's gift to you; what you do with yourself is your gift to God.

The past couple days told us what parts make up our shape (or SHAPE if you prefer). This chapter is about how we figure out what it is for us personally. First, we have to assess our gifts and abilities. We need to think hard about what we are actually good at (see here) and then compare our notes with people's observation with us. We might be surprised to find that there are things we think we are great at that other people give us sideways looks for (like 80% of the time that I try to be funny). There are also things that we do that people want us to do more of (I've never thought of myself as a singer, but before I joined SBC's choir I had many people come up to me and tell me I should join). Another cool challenge in here is that we should be experimenting with our ministry rather than just trying to find the exact niche we fill and then go do it. If we have a general idea of what we like and don't like, we are more likely to avoid circumstances that don't mesh with us, and also more likely to end up in a service that brings unexpected joy. And we don't always know what we can do and what we'll end up liking; I didn't start piano lessons thinking I would become a reader (read: put music in front of me and I will probably be able to sightread it cold with pretty fair accuracy and musicality; such a wonderful gift God has given me, and it is used a lot: I'm playing for 11 students for S&E this weekend, and only got some of the music last Friday! "My" ability to learn those pieces has nothing to do with me).

Second, we should consider our heart and personality. What is it that we enjoy? What keeps us going through the day? What makes us jump up and down, or shout in excitement, or just shake our arms and freak out?!?!? Do we do best alone, with a small group, or with a large group? Are we leaders or followers? Do-ers or thinkers? Do we prefer to compete or cooperate? These are things that I have been thinking a lot about lately. I know the answer to some questions, and am still finding out where on the spectrum I lie with others.

Third, we should examine the lessons we've learned from our experiences. I've talked about hindsight before; it seems logical that, if we know we will see the reason for hard times after we get through them, we shouldn't have so much emotional turmoil as they are happening. Unfortunately emotions and rationality do not always line up. We forget way too easily. If we take the time to examine all the things that have happened (and not just once, but on a regular basis), there's no real reason to keep making the same mistakes and learning the same lesson. We still won't be perfect, but at the very least we shouldn't be surprised by the same traps twice. The book recommends doing a "life review retreat." That sounds amazing to me right now. I want to go to Camp Barakel.

We should also accept and enjoy our shape. Bottom line: God made us this way FOR A REASON. Who are we to tell Him that He did something wrong? A great verse from my favorite book that echoes that statement.

(that wasn't a sentence. . . bad teacher! I'm too tired to go fix it)

God made us especially for something. We need to find that place and give it our all. The secret behind that, though, is that the place we can give it our all is the place where it doesn't feel like work! If you've never experienced that in your life, I hope that you find it. I have found it in music, but I have found it in other things too (I just get paid for the music stuff, which is so awesome!). We have to resist the temptations to compare or to conform our service to others. They have their own ways to serve, and THEY ARE NOT WRONG. We have our place, and WE ARE NOT WRONG. Besides, everyone is working towards the same goal! The means and methods are NOT as important as the vision and the result! Ignore the critics!

Finally, we have to keep developing our shape. Our talents shouldn't beburied. It's like what I was saying earlier; I want to do my best here so that I'm in prime condition when I get to Heaven! I can't imagine that everyone all of the sudden loses their abilities and interests when they die; with all the variety in our lives, Heaven must be filled with a plethora of personalities and "SHAPE's"!

Point to Ponder: God deserves my best.
And He created my best! Think about it. . .

Verse to Remember: 2 Timothy 2:15 "Do your best to present yourself to God as one aproved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." New International Version
This is the slogan verse of AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed). I've known this verse since I was a 9th grader. . . but only now am I seeing its life application. Also, the NKJV says "rightly dividing the word of truth." For a long time I thought that meant knowing where the Old Testament ended and the New Testament began.

Question to Consider: How can I make the best use of what God has given me?
Still working it out. . . I'll get back to you later.

(. . . . who exactly I am getting back to I am not entirely sure. . .)

1 comment:

  1. Present!

    (to your last thought on the post and since you are a teacher and all...)

    I might not comment every post but I do read them all and I'm learning a lot in the process. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete