.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 15: Formed for God's Family

1/17/2010

Day 15: Formed for God's Family

So, now that I've gone and worked out (and am currently eating lunch that doesn't consist of only oatmeal cookies. . . half batch next time for sure), I'm going to start the next theme/chapter now and hopefully finish it out before I have to go back to church. And if not, I'll catch it later tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still have not read the book of Hebrews (I'm waiting specifically until I finish the entire Old Testament) but I feel like there is a lot of good stuff in there. Hebrews 2 is perfect for the opening of this chapter. Also, something fantastic to think about: "Because God is love, he treasures relationships." Not just our relationship with Him, but our relationships with others! We should treat other believers a certain way, and most importantly, we should be reaching those who are lost so that they can be part of the family as well! God may have created us, but we still have to accept our place in His family; it is not just assumed. I think this is sometimes true in "blood relations" as well. How often do we hear of the "black sheep of the family," or "that weird uncle that no one likes," or "that side of the family. . ." . . . it's sad and sometimes quite hurtful. There are always expectations set for who we accept and who we reject. God only has one, and it's so simple (but really means so much): we must have faith in Christ. Are there expectations once we fulfill that? I hesitate to say yes, but the fact of the matter is once we fully understand the implications of Jesus' life, death, and ressurection, and understand that it was done for each of us individually out of love, then what comes after isn't duty or obligation, but privilege and honor. It's no longer a task or a chore but an act of pure love and worship.

It always used to weird me out (. . . I just realized how awful that phrase is. In fact, where did that come from??) when people would say "Brother" or "Sister" (insert name) at church. I realize now it was because I never understood the implications (that are in fact Scriptural- go back to the passage above from Hebrews). Now, with the community of believers I've become a part of at Stetson Baptist Church, I'm starting to feel that. I am continually impressed by the openness and friendliness of all the different people I have interacted with there, and I am so happy to be able to be around them at least once a week and to be able to serve them through my God-given musical talent and passion. Although I'm young, I really do feel like "Brother Ben" at SBC. And I like it.

I know one thing that I try to think about often is my heavenly inheritance. Is what I'm doing right now reflect the fact that I'm living here temporarily, and that I am looking forward and working towards that inheritance? Sometimes that's a tough question. . . but we need to "live in the light of eternity" as an earlier chapter said.

Although I didn't get baptized until recently, I've always known why people get baptized: it's (supposed to be) a public statement of faith, to be done in obedience (and great joy!). I came to know Christ at a young-ish age (sometime before 4th grade. . . I think I was 7) and wanted to get baptized, and while I'll spare the details of why I didn't until this past November, I'm actually kind of glad it worked out this way. It helped me to refocus myself and remember what my life is supposed to be all about. Yes, a public statement of faith, but for me it was also a recommitment to God's will. It wasn't just a part of the process of becoming a member of SBC; it was a long awaited step of obedience as part of the family of God.

Go read this passage and this one. How awesome! God is proud to call us His children! I've said this before: I know me. I know what I've done. I know the messed up things about me. But God accepts me as His son anyway! We talked about this a little bit in Sunday School today. I don't understand it, but I accept it, and it is truly wonderful.

Point to Ponder: I was formed for God's family.
I take this statement a couple of ways. First off, He gave me the different attributes and ways of thinking so that I can provide a unique and useful service to Him and the Church. Second, He knew exactly what it would take to reach out to me and finally make me see His hand and His love. Finally, He set me up and brought me to the specific family here at SBC, and it is so exciting to see the ways in which He will use me here.

Verse to Remember: Ephesians 1:5a- "His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ." New Living Translation
It's kind of a strange concept to swallow, but we as believers are Jesus' brothers and sisters! And He loved us so much that He allowed Himself to be beaten, mocked, spat upon, tortured, and killed in the most gruesome and painful way just for us. Best big brother ever? I think so.

Question to Consider: How can I start treating other believers like members of my own family?
Hmmm. . . good question. I think the biggest things I can do right now are 1)open up more and share what's on my mind, specifically with the Sunday School crew, and 2)be more aware and open to opportunities to help out, whether it be individuals, families, or the church in general. I love the people in my Sunday School class, and I'm working on accepting that they also care about me and aren't just tolerating my presence. It's not that they have given that impression at all. . . it's that whole self-esteem thing. That stupid little voice (that's not so much a voice as it is a nagging feeling). I'm getting better, but it takes time. It is encouraging to know that I have a safe environment, though, and I am thankful everyday for them. With the second thing, that just requires me to be a little less inside of my own bubble and a little more aware of the lives of people at my church. That doesn't really require a whole bunch of effort except what it takes for me to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment