.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 3: What Drives Your Life?

1/05/2010

Day 3: What Drives Your Life?

Before I forget, I should warn you all- I am going to a conference in Tampa (yay music education!) and it's very likely that I won't have internet access (due to my school's laptop, not the hotel). So I might be writing the next 3 or 4 entries offline and posting them this Saturday. Just a heads up so that you don't think I'm giving up on this already :-p

~~~~~~~~
This chapter talks about five things people are driven by and then five benefits we get from living a purpose-driven life. So, I might as well do my best to focus my writing tonight on those points.

I think everyone can relate to each of the driving forces mentioned here. The first is guilt. A turning point for me personally was one of the first Sunday morning services (maybe even the first sermon) that Pastor Dan preached. He made a point to explain the difference between guilt and conviction. Guilt is us feeling bad about ourselves, and is destructive. Conviction is feeling bad about the sin, and making an effort to do better next time. At the end of the sermon, he made the challenge for us to stop feeling guilty and to start feeling convicted, and gave us the statement to remember, "I am not perfect, but Jesus is." You can hear the whole sermon here.

I'll be honest, I had to consult my notes to get most of that information, but the "not feeling guilty" thing has stuck with me since that sermon. But at that moment, I felt like I was being talked to specifically, not just listening to some random guy rambling on and on behind a podium (which, essentially, he was at that point; clearly I think highly of my pastor :-p). So guilt? Been there, done that. Nothing down that road that's worthwhile, trust me.

The second force mentioned is resentment and anger. A very smart statement from the book: "Resentment always hurts you more than the person you resent." Again, can't every one relate some situation with this? For me, the biggest was the downfall of Maple Grove Bible Church. I won't relate the entire story here and now, but it was poorly timed and devastating. It's hard enough when a Pastor's wife has an affair; it's worse when the human element is added, and fighting begins, and no one is focusing on God, and a church of probably around 150 dwindles down to maybe 30, and you lose contact with a person you've known since 5th grade and a mentor-type with whom you've always felt comfortable. I had no trust in the Church and everything that had started to unravel became harder to even care about. However, I never completely let go of God.

No, no. That's not correct. God never let go of me.

Fear is the next idea. I like the verse in this section (I John 4:18). For me, I too often succumb to the fear of rejection, which is why I find it hard to speak (because if you don't open your mouth, no one can refute or laugh at your ideas). I mean, just look at the world (like, REALLY look): most people are hiding behind something (family, friends, career, money, relationships, etc.) so that the "boogie monster" (meaning whatever it is they fear) can't get them.

Next comes materialism. Although I wouldn't say I have had major problems with this personally, I have first-hand observations of this. "No one can serve two masters," and I think, especially in our society, money easily becomes an idol. It shows success, it buys "happiness," it pays the bills, it provides food and entertainment, it's why most people go to work every day. . . it's pretty important for, you know, survival. But it shouldn't be the deciding factor for living life. Yeah, we need to be careful with money, budget, stay out of debt, etc. I'm all for that. But ultimately we need to trust God in that He is providing what we need, as long as we are doing our part and not wasting the money He has given us.

The need for approval is the final force in here. Ugh. . . this has probably been my primary stumbling block. I always have to make everyone happy; I don't want to say "no" and disappoint. I've gotten better with this, but I definitely identify mostly with this.

I'm losing focus (well, it's my own fault; after looking up the sermon from September, I'm catching up on two I missed from Christmas break). So I'm going to pause that and give this my focus.

So- five benefits.

The first is that purpose give meaning to life. That's a nice change from the quarter-life crisis I've been going through since graduation. That's another reason I'm finally finding my way back towards the path of sanctification- I know now that a life lived solely by my rules does not deeply satisfy me, heal my wounds, or answer all of my questions.

Second is that purpose simplifies life. I love simplicity! It goes hand in hand with efficiency. And it usually brings peace to life.

Purpose also focuses our lives. Only do what's important; get rid of the extra stuff that's unrelated to the purpose. Makes sense to me. I really like the analogy from the book: "The power of focusing can be seen in light. Diffused light has little power or impact, but you can concentrate its energy by focusing it. With a magnifying glass, the rays of the sun can be focused to set grass or paper on fire. When light is focused even more as a laser beeam, it can cut though steel." Such a powerful image. And who doesn't want to be a laser beam?

We can also get motivation for life from purpose. I do understand this; as a musician and a teacher, I've found myself to be very passionate about both music and education. And it's hard to describe other than "WHOA!!!! That's so cool! :) :) :)" (if that makes sense). I love seeing other people being passionate about whatever, because I've been there, and yeah. . . really, I think what I said before sums it up. There aren't words. Who doesn't want to feel like that (meaning passionate) about life in general?

Finally, purpose prepares us for eternity. The two questions it asks here are interesting, and I'm going to put them down but not discuss because it says both of these questions will be addressed later in the book. First, God will ask us on Judgement Day "What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ?" Second is "What did you do with what I gave you?"

This chapter has made me excited about continuing to read this book. And now. . .

Point to Ponder: Living on Purpose is the path to peace.
Well, if you know why you exist, what you were put on the Earth for, then what is there to worry about?

Verse to Remember: Isaiah 26:3- "You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you." Today's English Version
I think having grown up in a Bible church and now going to a Baptist church, it's very important to me that whatever is being said is based on Scripture rather than conjecture. I like the note in my student Bible about this verse: "Perfect Plan- Isaiah, who lived in a time of tremendous turmoil, predicted more of the same. Godly people would suffer along with everybody else, he said. How should believers cope? Isaiah urged them to focus on a reality greater than their current troubles: to keep their minds steady on God, who never loses control over events." I added the emphasis, but it's true; God is always in control. And God is love (I'm not linking that again: I John 4:8 I think). It's a comforting thought to think the person in control is the guy who made you out of love.

Question to Consider: What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?
Hmmm. . . if I did a poll, I'm sure most people would say either "music" or "the job in Florida." You know, I used to say "I don't care what people think." I don't think that's true anymore. I want people to look at my life and say "You know, he has something different. Something good. Something that's making his quality of life better or different than what I have. And I want that too." I think I'm on my way to living that kind of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment