.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Week 1 in Review

1/10/2010

Week 1 in Review

So, in this entry I will list and "discuss" (I don't know that one person talking is really a discussion, although some people seem to feel that way, if you know what I mean) some of the things in here. It might seem a little repetitive, but then again, how else do we remember things but through repetition?

So, here we go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think are the implications of the first sentence of this book, "It's not about you"?
For me, it's a reminder that I am not a means and end goal within myself. It's so easy to look at our strengths, talents, accomplishments, and aspirations, and think "I am a great pianist, I can sightread quite well, I gave two and a half successful recitals and marched as a SL in Broncoband for three years, I am going to make a music program happen at my school." I didn't do anything to give myself a natural affinity to music and the piano. Even if you wanted to argue that I've put a lot of time into the craft (I'm in my 13th year of piano I believe. . .), who's time is it really? Who gave me the inspiration and the passion? Who allowed me to pursue all of that? I know me, and I know that I don't have the power to do all of that.

What do you feel most people's lives are driven by? What has been the driving force in your life?
I feel that most people are driven either by success or fear. If you really break down the intentions of why people do things (especially when things don't make sense), or even your own, I think you'll find that most are either "Doing this will make my life better" or "Doing this will keep from causing something that I don't like." Again, in this blog I've already addressed the second question, but I am finally working on giving everything over to God and keeping Him as the driving force.
Also, I have to add this link. It's the song that's currently playing on the radio, and it is related to this question.

Up to this point, what image or metaphor has best described your life? A race, a circus, something else?
Well, if you have read up to this entry, you've already heard about the balancing pyramids. I've been trying to think of how to describe my current outlook on life, and I'm not exactly sure. . . I'm kind of starting to figure things out, sorting through the muck and finding the good stuff it has been covering, and replacing anything bad or useless with things that are good and useful. That's not very concrete, but in my mind the image works.

If everyone understood that life on earth is really preparation for eternity, how would we act differently?
We would waste so much less time and energy on all the petty, trivial things in life that we get caught up in and worry about, and realize that God's hand is in everything, and trust that if we are faithful (and sometimes even when we aren't) He will provide everything we need. We would also spend more time trying to get closer to God and to know His will.

What do people get attached to on earth that keeps them from living for God's purposes?
Money and relationships I think are some of the biggest ones, because we can't survive physically or emotionally without them. However, the problem becomes when those things become "the most important thing in the world." Maybe you feel that way about your family, or your spouse, or your job, but ultimately that attitude is wrong. We carelessly say things like "I love you so much, I would do anything for you," but would we really, truly, when faced with a situation? If we are not of the world, I don't think we would, because often those situations create a conflict of interest between your will and God's will. However, having the "I'd do anything" attitude is how we should approach God. I mean, He gave us life and freewill, and it's only logical that we should want to give that life back to His service and praise and glory.

What have you been attached to that could keep you from living for God's purpose?
Well, not to repeat the beginning, but music and the success it has brought me is something easy to get caught up with (yep, TWO prepositions at the end of that sentence. I'm so awesome). I can't imagine not performing or teaching or doing something with music. That's one reason I'm so thankful my church has a great and diverse music ministry; I've played piano in a more traditional set-up, percussion in the orchestra, and I'm going to sing with the choir as well. Those opportunities serve to remind me that those gifts I have (as they are gifts) are from God, and should be used to glorify Him not only in the church, but in my whole life. And I'm so glad to have those opportunities when they arise.

Well, I need to create a final exam for my 8th graders, but I'll be back after tonight's evening service (Nehemiah is back!! :D ) and get into the next theme and chapter of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment