.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 8: Planned for God's Pleasure

1/10/2010

Day 8: Planned for God's Pleasure

Tonight's message was about why people did what Nehemiah said (Pastor Dan has been leading a series of messages on the book of Nehemiah and applying it to the future of SBC. . . very interesting stuff. I've been taking it on a couple different levels, with my job and my personal life). The answer? Moral authority (in a nutshell, it is when someone does what they say they believe. It requires character (an interesting addition to the definition I always think of: it's doing the same thing when no one is watching or when EVERYONE is watching. I like it) and sacrifice, and it is what makes vision work).

In my position as a (future) band director (and potentially a choir director), this is actually quite applicable. I mean, look at the best school performing arts programs: the students are responsible, well-behaved, and form this amazingly cohesive unit under the direction of one person. Why? Because they have moral authority. That's one of the things I admired about my mentor in my internship, and now I have words and a definition to be able to describe it to someone else. Good stuff.

Alright, starting a new theme, a.k.a. Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God's Pleasure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think, not just for the purpose of tonight but for the rest of this journey, it's important to bring this point up that the book points out: God did not need to create us, but he chose to. Why? Well, think about it. Why do we play with toys like Play-Do, Legos, blocks, Lincoln Logs, action figures and dolls, stuffed animals, cars, and so on? We like to make believe stories, lives, worlds with these things. FOR OUR ENJOYMENT. No one forced God's hand in our creation. He wanted beings other than Himself that He could interact with, teach, and most importantly, love. I think everyone has at least one childhood toy that they loved when they were younger. I had a stegosaurus that I got when I was probably 4 or 5. And I took it with me everywhere. It was part of all my adventures, whether I was make-believing killing zombie hordes with my cousin (yeah. . . it's true) or playing with toys at our house or whatever. I still have it in my room back in the mitten. How AWESOME if that little dinosaur were actually alive! And had it's own personality and interests and voice. . . I don't know that anyone would turn down a toy like that.

I have to quote the book because it's so great: "When you fully understand this truth (bringing enjoyment to God is out first purpose), you will never again have a problem with feeling insignificant. It proves your worth. If you are that important to God, and he considers you valuable enough to keep with him for eternity, what greater significance could you have?" I know I have dealt with feeling insignificant (and again, who hasn't?), so this is a great point. And the next point ties in so intuitively: God gave us the five senses so that we, too, could enjoy life! Too often I think we forget that God has emotions, but as you look through the Bible, we see that He becomes sad, angry, jealous, feels pity, delights, "and even laughs!" as the book exclaims (or the Book; either way :-p). What a gift, to be able to smell the richness of the air, taste the combinations of flavor in a well done dinner, soak in the lights and colors of beautiful sights, become enraptured while listening to moving music, draw comfort from touch!

Here's something new to me that I really like (and wish someone had explained in this way to me before): worship is bringing pleasure to God. No one has ever explained it that way (and in so simple terms) that's it's just kind of like, "Duh!" Worship isn't just what we do on Sunday, but what we do everyday. Worship is a lifestyle. Everyday, everywhere, all the time. . . OK, OK, that's all great, but what does that mean? Well, apparently it's as easy as living a life that brings pleasure to God. Pastor Dan has started a morning series about worship, and today he gave us four things we can do to "get worship," as he says. It was quite encouraging for me to hear, as I have been working on these things since I moved (I'm not trying to paint a picture that that makes me amazing or anything, but it's nice to know I've been on the right path and that I need to continue doing what I've started): 1-give your life (your ENTIRE life, not just the easy stuff, but the things that we don't want ANYONE to touch. Say "Yes" to everything He asks you) to Jesus, 2)Spend time in God's Word (whatever can be afforded, although in my opinion it's not about affording time but making it. Of course, I'm also a time-making Nazi when it comes to fitting in whatever is important to me- ask me about my last two semesters on campus if you don't believe me), 3)Sing! (we'll get to music in a second, as the book devotes a good chunk of the chapter on it), and 4)Begin to see the hand of God in everything.

Worship is not just about singing. I know the first time I heard that and believed it was at SBC. Reggie (the music minister) said that, and followed it by "We don't worship because life is good. We worship because GOD is good." And now that I have a concrete definition of worship, those statements make so much more sense. We don't worship for ourselves, but for God. And I like the statement that there is no "Christian music", only Christian lyrics. For me, that frees me to be able to play anything (Mozart, Brahms, Chaminade, whatever) without feeling like it can't glorify God. If I think music is powerful or enjoyable, then the way I approach it and perform it has more to do with it's part in my daily worship rather than anything inherent in the music. And that's kind of cool to think about.

I also like the practical approach to worship found here. We can do everything like we are doing it for Jesus, even as much as having a conversation with Him as we do it! It's so easy to see now. That's what abiding in His love is all about.

Point to Ponder: I was planned for God's pleasure.
Not accidentally happened upon, but planned for it. What a responsibility, but what an opportunity! We spend a lot of time trying to please other people or to please ourselves. . . but how different the approach (and the quality) of life when we start trying to please God.

Verse to Remember: Pslam 149:4a- "The Lord takes pleasure in his people." Today's English Version
The Psalms are so great, because they are the praise songs of the Old Testament. This Psalm is especially great, because it tells us to sing a new song, rejoice, dance, play instruments, and be glad, BECAUSE He takes pleasure in us! How special we must be.

Question to Consider: What common task could I start doing as if I were doing it directly for Jesus?
I don't mean for this to sound trite, but I hate putting away laundry. And the dishes. It's not the process of cleaning them (I mean, washer/dryer is pretty simple, and I don't mind handwashing dishes) but the having to put them away after they are dry (and especially to fold the laundry). So many steps! Sometimes I have a bad attitude about doing either or both of those tasks, which sometimes means I put them off for a while because I know I'm going to have to put the things away later (in fact, there's a dishwasher full of clean dishes and a pile of dirty laundry right now). So, I'm going to start putting away my dishes and clothes for Jesus, and not just slop things around, but fold my clothes nicely and arrange my dishes so that they aren't stacked precariously and fall when I open drawers.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the post so much! It reminds me of my Grandma telling me at church one time because I was so shy to sing, even in the crowd singing, "God doesn't care if you can sing good or bad, he just wants to hear you sing."

    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete