.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 25: Transformed by Trouble

1/27/2010

Day 25: Transformed by Trouble

I was riding the struggle bus this morning, and I didn't even realize it until it was almost too late. I didn't get out of bed until after 6 (it wasn't so much sleeping past 5:30 as it was that I just layed there and had no desire to leave the warmth of my bed). Usually on mornings like that, I just skip the shower step and move to the heat tea water and get dressed steps of my morning routine. However, one look in the mirror convinced me to go ahead and "take a quick shower," which is not part of my vocabulary. My hair is just long enough that it can't be combed down but needs water to be able to be formed into a socially acceptable fashion (i.e. so I can go to school and not look like I just got out of bed, hair going every which way). I got out of the shower, thinking it was a little after 6:20. I went out to start tea water and looked at the oven clock: 6:22. Perfect! When I got back into my bedroom and put my glasses on, a glance at my alarm clock told me it was 6:39!!! (my alarm clock is 5 minutes fast). My phone confirmed: 6:34! My bad eyes and my mind tricked me into seeing a "2" instead of a "3" on the oven clock! It was the latest I've ever left for school; my car clock said 6:40 when I pulled out of my apartment complex. Pierson is nearly exactly a 30 minute drive from my apartment, barring red lights and traffic problems, and I'm supposed to be at school and signed it at 7:10. Now, usually I am an early person, but because I don't have a 1st period right now I don't get to school super early (around 6:55). However, today we had to hand out report cards in homeroom, and I am a homeroom teacher. EEEEK! I prayed quickly, asking God to get me to school safely and on time. I then proceeded to speed out to 92, and the thought hit me: I just asked God to do something, and now here I am, taking the situation into my own hands and disobeying the law (sinning). Although it was a tough thing to resist (especially on the long stretches of 17), I forced myself to drive the speed limit the whole way to school.

Guess when I arrived at school?

7:07. I was in my room with the report cards before the first bell rang at 7:10.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is another one of those chapters that I wish I would have read a year ago. It doesn't really apply to my current situation, but it's still very practical and useful as a reference for when bad times come (as they will inevitably).

It is important to realize first of all that God uses problems to help us grow. Even the things that Satan means to be bad for us, God uses to test us and temper our character. Secondly, we must also realize that ANY problem, big or small, is a chance to grow. Generally the bigger the problem, the more we realize we have to rely on Him for everything, but if we have experienced that, then it is our task to trust Him even with the smallest of problems! It's a hard concept, to think that the all powerful God wants us to incorporate Him in our little struggles as well as in our big upsets. The book makes a good point: "When we're in pain, we don't have the energy for superficial prayers."

I LOVE the broken down analysis of Romans 8:28-29. Huge appeal to the intellectual side of me. To synthesize and paraphrase the book's analysis: We have certainty that God is in control of all that happens to us (mistakes, sins, and hurts included), and plans them to be interdependent parts of the process of His purpose for we that are God's children to become more Christlike. The idea of the separate ingredients for a cake being bad by themselves but being overall good when put together is a good analogy to remind us that the bad things seem bad individually but overall have a good purpose.

"What happenes outwardly in your life is not as important as what happens inside you." After all, we have the promise of eternal life in Heaven when it's all said and done! But it's hard to see that when things aren't going well. It feels like the world is going to end (which in some cases would be a relief) and that nothing will ever bring relief. . . and this is where most people (even those who are only remotely "religious") usually turn to God for help. I've found that I am not this way, however. I praise God in the great times, because I know that He is there and working in my life. When things go bad, I usually blame Him for letting it happen and make things worse. This is something I know I need to work out. We have to remember that Jesus went through times of loneliness, temptation, stress, criticism, and rejection (reminds me of the song "Empty and Beautiful).

There are three ways we should respond to problems. First, we HAVE to remember that God's plan is good. I would add "and perfect" to the rest of that idea from the book. The best part of this section is here: "If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. But if you look at Christ, you'll be at rest!" I always think of Paul in this kind of situation. Through everything he went through (like shipwreck and jailing) he was always focused on the end goal. Phillipians is one of my favorite books because of that attitude of constant joy even in "bad" situations.

Second, we must always rejoice and give thanks. We don't need to be thankful for all circumstances, but in them. If we know that we will get through the situation, and that it will make us stronger, than we can rejoice in the knowledge that the situation is given by God to make us that way and further His purpose in the world. We must never forget that Jesus suffered much as a human; why would we expect any different in our lives?

Finally, we must refuse to give up. Becoming a new and better person takes time. James is another great book, and here it talks about how trials are used to make us better. An interesting thought; as we mature, we pray less "comfort me" type prayers and replace them with "conform me to Your will" prayers. It's not about "why me?" but about "what do You want me to learn?" If we trust God in everything, He will always be there with us, working directly on us to make us better.

"Growing up means admitting the things you want the most: can't pursue every possible line. . . folding tents, making choices, ignoring all other voices, including mine. . . you're divine. . ." Although those lyrics were not intended to be particularly Christian, I think they directly to apply to this chapter's theme.

Point to Ponder: There is a purpose behind every problem.
They say that hindsight is 20/20. I think, if we all reflect on some problematic times in our lives, we see the good that came out of it, every time.

Verse to Remember: Romans 8:28- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." New International Version
He is always in control, and His plan is perfect.

Question to Consider: What problem in my lfe has caused the greatest growth in me?
Well, the depression that came out of the search for employement this summer has brought me to the place I am now (meaning Florida and all the wonderful things that have happened since the move), but really that started with not getting a job with TFA. I don't regret trying out for it, because a)it put me in my place, b)it opened up communication, and c)I would not have moved to Deland.

No comments:

Post a Comment