.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 17: A Place to Belong

1/19/2010

Day 17: A Place to Belong

It's funny how God is using my journey in this book to impact my everyday life (that, or one could say you become hypersensitive to things that you are studying or that are happening to you. . . I like the first version better). So the theme of the week is being part of God's family, right? Today at school, I was waiting to talk to my principal, and his secretary (and one of my favorite people at the school) told me that she just found out a church friend of hers was killed in a car accident this morning, and asked if I would pray for the family and the pastor who had to minister to them. There was no hesitation, no awkwardness, no doubt in her mind that I would do it (and none in mine, either).

This is the way the Church should work. Just sayin'.

(Where did that phrase come from?? Ah, the word fads. . . like "random" and "da bomb," they eventually fade away. . .)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"None of us can fulfill God's purposes by ourselves." Often time we hear about the "body of Christ" and how no member of the body (our literal one or the one I'm discussing) has any function or purpose when it's not connected. It seems like another "no duh!" moment, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bear repeating. I love the list of adverbs (I think. . . it's been a while since I've taken English. . . if "together" is an adjective, then I'm correct, and if it isn't. . . well, I don't know) (this is why I majored in music) the book has for how the Bible says believers are to be together: put, joined, built, members and heirs, fitted, will be caught up. OK, definitely not all adverbs. . . but you get my point. It also says that our relationship may be personal, but that does not mean it should be private. I know this is something I've struggled with, but part of my problem is that I was trying to still fit into the world while having a relationship with God on my own time. First of all, God owns all of my time, and second, I should not fit into the world's mold. Does that mean we can't do anything on this planet? Of course not. But what we are doing should be glorifying God. Always. I've brought this point up a number of times, but it's still just as relevant and challenging.

Another interesting challenge from this chapter is being sure that we are loving the church and not just using it. It relates some to what Pastor Dan talked about Sunday morning (the church does not exist to raise families, but exists only with God-loving families in its walls, and too many people think it's the other way around). This is something I have been thinking about lately. I have been getting more involved with the music ministry at my church (again, if you've been keeping up on here, you already know that). But I feel like I can do more than that. I'm single, I have a job that, while not always easy, also leaves me pretty nice pockets of free time right now (once the program is going, that won't be as true). I want to get to know more people at my church, and I want to be involved with something other than music (again, it's an obvious choice for me, but it's also not a huge time committment. . . it's not that it's "too easy" but that I want to be doing something on top of orchestral and choral duties, if that makes sense. I can't quite explain it; I just want to be doing something, serving in one way or another). In a few years, I might not have the freedom to do the things that I might be able to do right now. And every experience is another opportunity to learn something about myself or God, and that's what I want most of all.

There are several reasons the book lists to join a church as a believer. First, being part of a church identifies you as a believer. Our personal ministry is great, but if we aren't sharing stories, prayers, support, etc. with other believers, people will start to wonder why we're doing what we're doing. Second is that a church moves us out of self-centered isolation. Part of it is learning how to love others, and part of it is realizing that God has created other people for us to interact with, not just Him! Look at the Garden of Eden; He didn't leave Adam alone for long before He created Eve. Third, church helps us develop spiritual muscle. The Bible says that we help each other stay healthy and grow and become full of love. "Real maturity shows up in relationships." Fourth, we are called to fulfill our function within the body. Again, this is the thing I was refering to earlier; I am still trying to find exactly how I fit into the SBC puzzle and what I have to contribute, musically or otherwise. Next, the church lets us share in Christ's mission in the world. I think of Casting Crown's song "We Are the Body." It is the Church that reaches the people of the world, and it is the church that reaches out to the parts of the world they are located in. One idea SBC puts out there a lot is that we might be a beacon to the community of DeLand. Finally, being part of a church family keeps us from backsliding. We don't become immune to temptation, but if we are seeing a group of believers on a regular schedule (at least weekly), we have the opportunity for accountability and encouragement and the realization that we are not alone. I can think of a couple detached believers that I wish would not have given up on the church and hope to inspire them to return to a church that suits them instead of harboring bitterness.

The last section of the book speaks of the difference between an attender and a member. Although I became a "member" in November, I'm working on the transition to make a committment to this church and not just be an attender. I think there are great things happening at SBC, and I want to be a part of it. In fact, if God led me there (which I believe), then He has called me to do something specific! I just have to figure out exactly what that entails, and then do it will all of my heart.

Point to Ponder: I am called to belong, not just believe.
If I had any doubt about this, let's review the facts:
1) My church has an awesome music ministry AND
2)an awesome pastor/teacher staff where I feel like I'm getting Biblical yet practical (and often challenging) information. And while some people can exist with just the second (and unfortunately some people give more importance to the first. . .), I want to have both. (Ask me about my visit home for Christmas and the music I heard. . . I'm pretty spoiled at SBC in that respect)
3) My Sunday School class contains: a professional percussionist, a few school teachers, a few tennis players, quite a few musicians, and a fellow Bronco. NISM? (that is Need I Say More, if your brain doesn't live in middle school anymore)
4) It is less than a 10 minute drive from where I live.
I'm sure I could list some more, but that list alone leaves me no doubt that I'm supposed to be where I'm at.

Verse to Remember: Romans 12:5- "In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." New International Version
I was actually just reading Romans 12 last night. . . weird (I should really be used to this by now. . . but at the same time, I hope I never lose the wonder).

Question to Consider: Does my level of involvement in my local church demonstrate that I love and am committed to God's family?
Well, again, I've been touching on that this whole entry. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks and where I may find myself involved. I just want God to use me as fully as He can (and at the same time not be caught up in just doing things but instead to find the things He wants me to do and to do them for His glory).

And if you didn't catch it at the beginning, please pray for the family and friends of the person who passed away earlier today. I appreciate it, and I know my co-worker does as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment