.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 21: Protecting Your Church

1/23/2010

Day 21: Protecting Your Church

Ah sleep. . . how I had missed thee. My legs are achy from three days of being upright from 5:30 AM - 9:30 PM. Today isn't as bad: I *should* go to rehearsal around 10:30 to see some of the MS stuff, and then the HS rehearsal is 1-4 and the concert at 7 (and then it's over! which is bittersweet, because I have really enjoyed teaching these past couple weeks). I only have two rehearsals next week, and next weekend is free (as far as I know). So I'll get back on schedule starting tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Nehemiah series Pastor Dan has been leading on Sunday evenings provide a lot of great, practical ideas about today's chapter, so I will be using some information from that series (go here if you want to check those sermons out: they are labeled with verses from "Nem." or with "evening service" They start on the 3rd page (but it's recent to old, so you have to move left on the number line) (oh number lines. . . I'm such a teacher :-p).

The key word in here is unity. If we aren't getting along and working towards the same goal, what chance is there that we can have fellowship with one another? And how does a church that is having internal struggles look to outsiders? Criticism from outside the church, be it making fun of our character, attacking our ability, or expressing doubt about our committment, are inevitable. We need to prove them wrong by showing that God is moving in us, and while we are human, we can still stand together and continue the work. However, we also have to be wary and protect ourselves from attacks from within, which is what this chapter focuses on.

First, we need to focus on what we have in common, not our differences. This verse sums up exactly what we have in common. We need not focus on personalities, preferences, interpretations, styles, or methods. That's the "how" of the picture, and everyone has their own idea of what that should entail. What we need to be united in is our vision and the end goal of our existence as a church, Our church is putting another performance of "One Lord, One Faith" in a couple Sundays, and there's another community performance the week after that. The message is clear; we may have some differences in what we do in our own churches, but ultimately we stand together in the idea that we believe in the same God. If only the whole Church body could be so connected. . .

Second, we need to have realistic expectations. I know I have to be careful with this. The break-up of MGBC was very tough for me, partially because I was young and didn't really understand how it happened, and partially because I didn't see it coming, but mostly because I am an idealist and like the believe the best in people until proven otherwise. I need to remember that we are all human and still prone to mistakes and sin, however hurtful the situations might end up. I wouldn't go as far to say that one should never leave their church, but we have to understand that people are just that (people) and things will not always be perfect. In fact, they will never be perfect here on Earth.

Third, we must choose encouragement rather than criticism. Oh, but it is so easy to tell other people that they are doing it wrong. Instead of complaining about a problem, why not do something about it?? Pastor Dan has talked about this the past few weeks. If you don't like the dead leaves on the sidewalk, sweep them up. If you think the choir needs more voices, go recruit people, or better yet, join it! There are four things that happen when we judge our brothers and sisters: we lose fellowship with God, we expose our own pride and insecurity, we set ourselves to be judged by God, and we hurt the church's fellowship. I think of the song "Come Just as You Are" and I think that every church congregations needs to remember this song when visitors come in. If they aren't in a suit and tie, if they don't know the words or tunes to the song (or if they can't sing), if they don't know when to stand and when to sit, IT'S OK.

We must also refuse to listen to gossip. I don't have much to add to that, but the book makes a very good point: people that gossip to you will gossip about you. Definitely something to think about.

Practicing God's method for conflict resolution is important. See yesterday's entry for lots of information on this; no need for me to rehash.

Finally, we have to support our pastors and leaders. I can't imagine being the pastor of a church. So many things to know, to do, to juggle around. . . families to know, couples to counsel, problems to resolve, funerals and grief, criticisms to receive. . . and the positive stuff too, with births, and weddings, and dedications, and baptisms. . . and all the behind the scenes work, coordinating with all the different aspects and departments of a church. . . I have the uttmost respect for all of the SBC staff and leadership, from SS teachers to deacons to volunteers for various functions. . . it's a lot of work. We need to be encouraging not only when it's Easter, Christmas, or Pastor Appreciation Month, or only when we hear sermons that we really like. It's a 24/7 job, and we should be at least weekly telling him/them how much we appreciate their work.

Point to Ponder: It is my responsibility to protect the unity of my church.
Each member of the church has to be working together, or it will fall apart. That means that each individual does have responsibility to the whole group, and that's not something to be taken lightly.

Verse to Remember: Romans 14:19- "Let us concentrate on the things which make for harmony and the growth of our fellowship together."
The translation is "Ph". . . I don't know what that means. . . Phillipine translation?

Question to Consider: What am I personally doing to protect unity in my church family right now?
Hmmm. . . I don't know that this is something I have really thought about. I mean, I guess I'm not doing any of the negative things mention in the chapter, but I think I need to start being on the look out for those and not be afraid to say, "Stop it."

No comments:

Post a Comment