.posthidden {display:none} .postshown {display:inline} By His Own Hand. . .: Day 9: What Makes God Smile?

1/11/2010

Day 9: What Makes God Smile?

Something kind of amazing happened at school today, and I didn't even realize it until I got home.

My high school students read music today.

I realize that probably sounds unimpressive, but keep in mind that they have no formal training before they had me. Everything has been by rote, and with the situation I was given, I also taught everything by rote (I may have been able to start the process of reading notation sooner, but it was more important to me that they play a variety of repertoire well rather than be able to read a few pieces and play them decently). Since the Christmas concert, we've been working on notation stuff, and going back to the stuff from marching season to decipher how to notate it. Today, we took our first steps into sightreading, and while it was a lugubrious process (hahaha I had to use that word, not because it was all that horrible of an experience, but because H. Robert Reynolds said it at the FMEA conference. . . you had to be there), they did it. Sure, I was there prompting them, but ultimately I was just asking them what they saw on the page and how it should sound. I didn't allow myself to just play it for them. Yeah, it took the whole class to get through 4 measures, but you know what? That's progress. And sightreading 8th/16th patterns isn't exactly ideal sightreading for beginners, but it's not impossible, especially since they've played a lot of those rhythms over the course of the marching season. They've just never seen them before.

And then, if the rumors are true and I can get my foot in that doorway. . . the possibilities! . . . sorry to be vague, but I don't want to reveal this nugget that I learned at FMEA until I know more about it.

God is so good :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wouldn't say I was suprised that the example in the book was about Noah, but it was kind of like, "Yeah. . . yeah, that makes sense." He and his family were the survivors of a cosmic assault on the Earth; clearly he was doing something right. One thing that struck me about this story is that God was grieved at creating man. My study Bible has a good footnote:
"Does this mean that God regretted creating humanity? Was he admitting he made a mistake? No, God does not change his mind (1 Samuel 15:29). Instead, he was expressing sorrow for what the people had done to themselves, as a parent might express sorrow over a rebellious child. God was sorry that the people chose sin and death instead of a relationship with him."
I think the story of Noah gives us some insight into the character of God. Again, we see Him with emotions (anger, sadness, and eventually pleasure in Noah's action, so far as to promise to never destroy mankind again. If that's not the definition of mercy, I don't know what is). My study Bible gives its wisdom again:
"Countless times throughout the Bible we see God showing his love and patience toward men and women in order to save them. Although he realizes that their hearts are evil, he continues to try to reach them. When we sin or fall away from God, we surely deserve to be destroyed by his judgment. But God has promised never again to destroy everything on earth unil the judgment day when Christ returns to destroy evil forever. Now every change of season is a reminder of his promise."

(Also, I have to mention another "coincidence": I played Somewhere Over the Rainbow for my students today. . .)

Once again, we have 5 organizers for rambling Ben to follow! This time it is ways we can make God smile.

Loving Him supremely is the first one the book mentions. It really is amazing to think that God wants to have a relationship with us. He can do ANYTHING, and yet what He wants is to have us know and love Him. What an honor. . . and what a sad reality for people that know the truth and reject it. Looking at the way I lived in college, and even in the months leading up to my move to the Sunshine State, I could be ashamed of the way I was acting towards God. But you know what? God loved me through all of it, and brought me to this point, whether I planned on it or not. But now I am starting to see it so much more clearly. I know that He's not finished with me yet (mostly the chorus of that song. . . I wasn't born in Tennesee :-P). I'm working on knowing Him and spending time with Him, and how else can one try and fulfill the greatest commandments?

Second, we can make Him smile by trusting Him completely. On the one side, it seems like this should be so easy, but I think this is one of the hardest things to do. Doubt and worry can be huge forces in keeping us from listening to God's will. Sometimes we in our limited human understanding can't imagine how a situation will turn out well if we follow God's plan. What a folly on our part, though, especially those that see the hand of God in our lives. Of course, the disciples were part of miracles and still had hardened hearts. This is probably the biggest area I can work on; knowing that He will take care of me, through the good times (that I am currently enjoying) and the hard storms (like late June/early July was. . . even though I didn't deserve it).

Third, He smiles when we obey wholeheartedly. The book is so true when it talks about partial obedience. It's easy to follow the things we like, or that make sense to us, and to conveniently ignore the stuff that we don't like or can't make sense of. What I've found though is that willful ignorance just leads to guilt, which if you don't like (and most people don't) pushes you into repentance and conviction to change. It's also true when it says that obeying Him is something that brings us mutual joy. I just read Psalm 119 earlier today (coincidence? OK, OK, I'll stop doing that. . . someday. . .) and it struck me how devoted the writer was. I pray that I will reach that point, and soon. I'm weeding out things that I've found do not jive with God's will, and often replacing the time I used to spend on those things with spending time with God, or doing something productive for my job, or at the very least keeping myself from following old, destructive paths. I can't say that I'm wildly successful yet, since I haven't really started doing this until recently, but we'll see how things pan out. I just want to transform my life into that of a good and faithful servant.

We can make God smile by praising and thanking Him continually. The analogy of a mother who cooks for her children is fantastic, because everyone can relate to it. That whole mutual exchange is so evident, and hopefully, as I work on establishing the lifestyle of worship, I'll find that mutual enjoyment for the rest of my life. I think that's part of what makes Sunday mornings so magical for some people; it may be the only time of the week where they are authentically praising God and recieving the blessings of His presence. I'm starting to feel that in different parts of my weekdays, and that is such an exciting feeling. Even in simple things (such as getting through my 8th grade class period) I'm starting to rejoice in the strength God gives me, and the positive attitude he brings into my soul (even when I feel discouraged or angry). Again, I don't mean this as a bragging point, but I just. . . I want to share it with others! I'm not perfect, and I don't have all my ducks in a row yet (and I don't think either of those will ever happen, considering I am human), but the process in itself is the most rewarding thing I've experienced.

Finally (doesn't every last main point begin with "Finally"?) God smiles when we use our abilities. God doesn't want us just when we're in a "worship setting" (which, if you think to yesterday, there is no such thing) but ALL of our lives! Think about it: He created nature, animals, music, cooking, architecture, science, reading, tennis, and so on. And each of us have strengths and interests in different areas. How can he not be happy when we are exploring and using those strengths in the world He created for us? Sometimes I feel people get the impression that to be "holy" or "spiritual" you are constantly reading the Bible, praying, and fasting. While all of those things might be part of what you do, it's more about living in the world with an awareness of God's total presence. It stands to reason that there is indeed a "Godly" way to play tennis, for example, and therefore there's also an "ungodly" way (and it has nothing to do with skill). One final quote from the book:
"Parents do not require their children to be perfect, or even mature, in order to enjoy them. They enjoy them at every stage of development."
Hallelujah!

Point to Ponder: God smiles when I trust him.
I can understand that. I definitely prefer it when my students do what I ask or go along with what I say without questioning my intent. I would rather say, "Do this," and explain after (if whatever I had them do did not have a self-evident purpose) then try and explain something (which, often with my middle schoolers, just goes over their heads anyway) and ruin the effect or confuse them. I think I know what's best for my students (my band students at least), but even if they know and believe that, but I think there's still a part of human nature that says, "But I want to know why RIGHT NOW." And if it doesn't make sense to us, why would we want to go along with it? That's where that whole trust thing comes in. And if God hasn't earned my trust, then I'm doing it wrong.

Verse to Remember: Psalm 147:11 "The Lord is pleased with those who worship him and trust his love." Common English Version
Just a quick note- Pastor Dan made a comment about how the best version of the Bible is "the one you will read." Very smart statement, really. So, although that wasn't the original reason I was putting the different translation names with the verses, it is now, so that someone reading this might go, "I really like that. I want to read more of the Bible that sounds that way." That has nothing to do with the actual verse, but I wanted you to know.

Question to Consider: Since God knows what is best, in what areas of my life do I need to trust him most?
I could probably list a slew (yes, slew and not slough. . . yay English lessons) of things, but upon reflection I think the biggest obstacle right now is trusting Him with my relationships. I've already discussed how I feel like I'm an awful speaker and that I am quite socially awkward (oh man, ask me about some things that happened at FMEA and you'll understand). Having moved 1,200 miles away from the only place I knew as home (Southwest Michigan) and leaving behind some rather big messes in the relationship category, it's hard to think that I would be able to establish healthy relationships here. Now, don't get me wrong, I plan on/am working on fixing the things that are messed up from back there, but having the distance is working to my advantage in these situations. And it's tough when you're working on self-image issues simultaneous to all the changes. . . so I have to trust that God has brought people into my life who will support me and enjoy my company and, well, love me (I have some "love" issues, which is something I'm not going to get into tonight, but I'm sure it will come up again). I also have to trust that, if I am loving them back and interacting in a way pleasing to God, he will bless the connections I'm making down here and continue to provide exactly what/who I need. And maybe therein lies the key to fixing the problems from back home. . . and that's something that I need to go think about.

2 comments:

  1. Question to Consider: Since God knows what is best, in what areas of my life do I need to trust him most?

    I think with me it would be relationships as well. I would also have to say my future and how everything is going to turn out in my life. I often worry way too much on how am I going to take care of this or when or if ever something will happen. Yes, I definitely need to put my trust in Him more. Thinking of my relationship with God more like a relationship between parent and child makes me think of myself as a petulant five year-old.....really have to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean; I look at the way I was acting this summer as I was seeking employment and wonder, "Why did I think throwing a temper tantrum against God would get me anywhere?" It's always easier to trust after the fact, but trusting before I know how something is going to turn out is a hard thing for me.

    ReplyDelete